Friday, April 13, 2012

April 11th Red Sox


       I had a feeling this was going to be a tough game to win for the Sox. After stealing one from the Blue Jays with three runs in the ninth before you knew they were going to come out determined. The Sox never really had a chance in this one. I think that is the Sox biggest problem and it really has been the past few years. In too many games they start behind. It makes it so tough on the starters when they have no run support to work with early in the game. 
       If you didn’t catch the game and you just saw the box score you probably think Bard pitched awful, but I don’t think that was the case. I was very interested to see how he was going to perform in his first start and to tell you the truth I really wasn’t expecting much. He gave up eight hits in five innings, but it wasn’t like Toronto was crushing the ball off of him. His stuff looked really good they were just hitting it where the Sox weren’t. He gave up no long balls and he only granted one free pass. Toronto is feisty at the plate and they looked it last night. If he can keep the walks down like he did last night I think this experiment may actually be successful. 
        The real problem last night was the Sox offense. I understand they aren’t going to score eight runs a game to win a tight one 8-7, but producing basically one run against Toronto’s fifth guy is just unacceptable. The Sox made Drabek look the Cy Young last night. The Sox were only out hit 11-9 and the Sox combined for five doubles as a team. How can you only produce one run in the first eight innings of the game with numbers like that? Guys are going to have to come through when their teammates are on base. The Sox hitters, for the most part, really just look clueless up there. I mean these are proven hitters producing nothing at all. I know it is early, but they have got to start hitting. 
        I am not in panic mode yet, not by a long shot, but I just want to know when these guys are going to show a little heart. They need to show me that they care. I thought the ninth inning rally the night before might spark them, but they were back to their passive selves last night. It would be a big confidence booster if the Sox can go out and take the series from Toronto with ace Jon Lester on the mound. He pitched very well against Verlander and the Sox are going up against one of the worst aces on a team in Romero. They need to avoid yet another treacherous start.

No comments:

Post a Comment